Monday, March 7, 2011

Girls of Awesome

Girls in books are awesome! They inspire me, they keep me going, and they help me realize that I am awesome, too. I wish I could talk about all of them, but here are two of my favorite awesome girls from books.

1. Miri from Princess Academy
Miri is strong and kicks butt...in her own way. She reads so that she can learn how to help her people, she reaches out to others (even the girls who are mean to her), and she is smart enough to fight off the bandits that raid her school. She isn't perfect, but she makes a series of good choices that lead her to happiness.

And she finds love at the end, too, but it isn't the only thing going for her. It's more like a side effect to her adventures and growing experiences.

Oh yeah, and did I mention that she can talk through stone? Awesome!



2. Lucy from The Chronicles of Narnia

Lucy is gentle and kind. She is the peacemaker in her family. She helps the sick and the injured. In fact, her gift from Father Christmas is a vial of fireflower juice, which can heal any injury. She is a healer. She cries when other people are sad, and she rejoices when other people are happy. When I need an example of a Christ-like woman, I turn to Lucy.

Lucy also has great faith in herself and in others, particularly in Aslan. Though she experiences doubts, she learns how to move past them and truly succeed. She hates leaving Narnia, but she obeys, trusting that Aslan will find her again.

This girl makes friends everywhere she goes. Awesome!


1 comment:

  1. Ahh, Lucy - a personal favorite of mine too... and C.S. Lewis' as I understand it.

    She is so pure, and so innocent. So trusting and forgiving. So hopeful and believing. She is, a child. But she is so much more than a child. She is firm and unwavering. Bold and courageous. She is Queen Lucy the Valiant.

    Lucy is the first one to enter into and see Narnia. She is also the first to see Aslan again in Prince Caspian.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZi-8WVLUqg

    ReplyDelete