Friday, December 31, 2010

Book Review: Percy Jackson

Fridays will be book review days. I think reading is one of the richest experiences on the earth. As I was growing up, I had trouble deciding what to do for the rest of my life. I wanted to be so many different things: a doctor, a veterinarian, a writer, a teacher, a scientist, a librarian, an archaeologist, a movie star, etc. I majored in literature because I can read about anything and everything! If I want to know more about fencing, I can read about it. If I want to know more about horses, I can read about them. If I want to know more about psychology, I can read about it. Books can be about anything, including "values based on religious beliefs."

Last summer, I blasted through the Percy Jackson books.

I love books like this, and so does my 11-year-old cousin, Jordan. He likes that they are action-packed, funny stories about a boy who is awkward. Percy has ADHD and dyslexia, but when he discovers that he is the son of a Greek god, he realizes that these weaknesses are actually his strengths. He was meant to have quick reflexes in battle (hyperactivity anyone?) and to read ancient Greek (hence the dyslexia). He is different because he is the son of a god, and all of his adventures help him to reach his potential as a demigod hero.

Though the story is based on pagan myths, it reflects many of the values that I live by. It reinforces the ideas that we are children of God, that we are the way we are for a reason, and that we have great potential that we can't even imagine. And it is just plain entertaining! These books will always have a special place on my bookshelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment